Friday 31 May 2013

Library Designs

Posted by  on Jan 26, 2012 in Fashionably Interior Design | 3 comments
Okay, I thought it would be fun to talk about design.  One of my crazy design obsessions are libraries.  I love old libraries that are seeping with history and outfitted with the work of some of the most renowned artist in history.  I am not talking about your local library; I am talking about libraries that have been around for centuries.  These types of libraries have some of the oldest book collections and are lavishly decorated from floor to ceiling.  I think I have an obsession with libraries like this, because they transport you to a different era and you feel the history surrounding you.  Someday I would like to build myself a miniature version of a lavish library, like one of these, in my house.  I want something lavishly decorated, with floor to ceiling rich dark mahogany (or maybe vintage white) built in shelves, a latter that moves from side to side, tufted sitting areas and dim lighting.  I have always wanted to build something like this, and I know someday I will!  Do you appreciate the architecture in these centuries’ old libraries as much as I do?  They truly make my heart melt.
XO,
Rachel Ashley
Trinity College Library, Dublin, Ireland. This university library is the largest library in Ireland, encompassing of several different buildings that are home nearly 5 million volumes. The oldest (constructed in 1592) and most beautiful of the library buildings houses the Early Printed Books Reading Room and the Manuscripts Reading Room. The main area of this Old Library is the Long Room, running nearly 215 feet and containing multiple levels of dark wood shelves lined with busts of great philosophers and writers. It is utterly amazing! 
Biblioteca Geral, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal. This large library, originally founded in 1537 with the establishment of the University of Coimbra, was reconstructed and relocated in 1725. It is lavishly decorated in the Baroque style that was popular during the reign of King Joao V, after whom the library is named.  The smaller part of the library, the Biblioteca Joanina is it’s most distinctive, and arguably most beautiful, architectural feature. About 250 thousand volumes grace the shelves, constructed of exotic and sometimes gilded woods, home, covering topics from medicine to philosophy. The building was entirely constructed and decorated by Portuguese artists, making it one of the country’s valued National Monuments. Ridiculously beautiful! 
George Peabody Library, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland. An American library that takes my breath away.  I love the white shelving from floor to ceiling!  Located on the Peabody Campus of Johns Hopkins University, this library serves students studying at the Conservatory of Music, the Preparatory Division and other smaller parts of the university. The library was founded in 1852 through a large donation from investment banker George Peabody. Today, it houses over 300,000 volumes that are part of the Special Collections department. The books date back to the 19th century and cover topics like religion, British art, architecture, history, literature, romance languages and travel, reflecting the academic interests of the period. The building itself has been said to established the beauty of its design, created by Baltimore architect Edward G. Lind in a Neoclassical style.

No comments:

Post a Comment