1. "Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee, your hands can't hit, what your eyes can't see." — Prior to his fight against George Foreman in 1974.
2. "I am the greatest, I'm the greatest that ever lived. I don't have a mark on my face." — After he beat competitor Sonny Liston in 1964.
3. "No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over.” — On April 29, 1967, while refusing to fight in the Vietnam war.
4. "Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill." — Prior to a fight against George Foreman in 1974.
5. "I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky, my name not yours. My religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me." — In 1970 when he was convicted of draft evasion.
6. "I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." — On working hard
7. "Ain't no reason for me to kill nobody in the ring, unless they deserve it." — Ali commented after the match with Jimmy Ellis in July 1971.
8. "Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up" — In "Chambers Sporting Quotations" (1990) by Simon James
9. "To make America the greatest is my goal, so I beat the Russian and I beat the Pole. And for the USA won the medal of gold. The Greeks said you're better than the Cassius of old." — After winning the Olympic light-heavyweight gold medal at the 1960 Games in Rome.
10. The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life. — Interview in "Playboy" magazine in November 1975.
11. "My soul has grown over the years, and some of my views have changed. As long as I am alive, I will continue to try to understand more because the work of the heart is never done." — "The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey" (2004), written with Hana Yasmeen Ali.
12. “I always bring out the best in men I fight, but Joe Frazier, I’ll tell the world right now, brings out the best in me. I’m gonna tell ya, that’s one helluva man, and God bless him.” — After the 'Thrilla in Manila.'
17. "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
18. "I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cuz there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them."
19. "Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right."
20. "If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."