Thursday 23 August 2012

You Are What You Underline

And now, a little something from my husband Evan about his new project:
- – -
The best thing about paperbacks (apart from the smell, of course) is that when a little jewel of a sentence grabs you, you can underline it. If you’ve only ever read a book on a screen (hey, it’s not far off), then let me explain: Underlining something in your book is the original “interactive” media. Think of it as a hyperlink that redirects to your own thoughts, and like a hyperlink, it can leave the rest of the story behind and open up a new window of ideas, insights, musings.
That’s the spirit of this series of illustrations. I took little snippets of text and ideas from some of my favorite authors (with some notable exceptions that I’m saving), and let the words be a springboard for an illustration. The illustrations incorporate and interact with the text and hopefully add up to something that engages the mind as much as the eye.
The plan is to complete around 50 illustrations in a year. I’ve posted some of them below.  There are 23 completed, which you can see in my Etsy shop, Obvious State.
I’d love to hear what you think.
- Evan












No comments:

Post a Comment