Monday 24 September 2012

Home Is Where The Hound Is

Home Is Where The Hound Is
When I think back to all of my various homes across the years, my cozy childhood home, dingy dorm rooms, and teensy one bedroom apartments, a wide range of emotions are attached to each one.  Though I loved the feeling of freedom in my first "home away from home" dorm room, it regularly smelled like rotten cheese, and the A.C. unit from the late '60's rarely allowed the temperature to dip below 80 degrees.  I was much cozier when I entered graduate school five years later, and moved into my very own big girl apartment.  It was just me, with real furnishings (actual framed artwork instead of N'sync posters), and nobody else to dirty the dishes.  But even with this massive upgrade, something was still missing. Despite how many throw pillows and home accessories I purchased,  it just never ever truly felt like the home I grew up in.
I knew that until I brought someone furry into my life, this place would merely be a roof over my head.
Looking back, the reason behind it is clear.  At that time in my life, I didn't have a furry four-legged family member living with me. There was no wagging tail to greet me at the door, no warm furry body snuggling next to me on the sofa, and no one to truly make my house a home.  In my childhood house, I was surrounded by Black Labs and kitties, and I knew that until I brought someone furry into my life, this place would merely be a roof over my head.  Three years later, I was finally at home when I moved in with my husband, his rescue Daisy, and our newly-adopted eccentric dachshund named Gus. So, though I can't wait to share with you all of the different pretty ways to create your very own happy abode, keep in mind that home is truly where the "hound" is!

From

http://www.lifeanddog.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment