Friday 21 September 2012

STYLE TAILOR: Eric Musgrave with Rosie and Jimmy

September 20, 2012 | By Sara 
Eric with Rosie (middle) and Jimmy (right) PHOTO: Dan Burn-Forti for Saga Magazine
StyleTails caught up with man who knows his Boss from his Boateng. Eric Musgrave, former Editor-in-Chief of fashion bible Drapers and author of Sharp Suits talks to StyleTails about proper dogs and the perfect suit.
Having worked with Eric for some time, I can confirm that the man is an adventurous dresser. Not one to blend in, Eric fully embraces a brightly coloured corduroy (I believe I’ve seen him in both pink and red – possibly at the same time) and a pair of statement glasses. Given his penchant for fancy threads, it’s just as well that his career aspirations led him from teaching to fashion journalism. Having started his fashion journalism career at Drapers Record in 1980, returning to the title in 2000 as editor-in-chief, Eric is a stalwart of the UK fashion scene. One thing I didn’t know about him however is that the man is mad about dogs. Not just any dogs though – the elegant whippet and lurcher are his canines of choice. I caught up with Eric and his beauties – Saluki Lurcher Jimmy and Whippet Lurcher Rosie to talk treats and tailoring.
You’ve edited some of the most important fashion trade press in the UK. How did you end up in fashion journalism?
I actually thought I wanted to be a teacher. I did a degree in history but lost interest in that along the way and ended up taking two gap years after I graduated – basically messing around.  Eventually my mother told me it was time to get a proper job. The only thing I could think I wanted to do at the time was journalism. It wasn’t easy or glamorous. The only job I could get was a press officer and had no joy at all getting into newspapers. Eventually I found a way through trade magazines which happened to be Drapers Record where I joined as Junior Reporter. I went on to work on the launch of For Him Magazine (later FHM) which was at the time, a UK version of Esquire underpinned by style and wardrobe advice for men. I ended up moving around to various UK fashion press but eventually found myself back at Drapers where I was Editorial Director until 2005.
You wrote Sharp Suits, an examination and celebration of the modern suit. What makes the perfect suit?
Everything has got to be balanced – there must be symmetry. It starts with a well fitting collar and shoulders. If this is wrong, then nothing else will be right. I remember John-Paul Gautier playing with proportions and it looked comical. It must be balanced.

What advice would you give men who are looking to buy a suit?
Invest in a bespoke suit. I’ve never regretted buying a good suit so for me, bespoke is always the way to go. It’s made entirely to your measurements and will last you for 20 or 30 years.  A top quality  ready to wear suit can cost up to £2,000 whereas you can pay £3,000 for bespoke, which is made to your specifications. We have some of the best tailors in the world on Saville Row which I think represent good value for money.
Are men interested in fashion?
It’s a myth that men aren’t interested in fashion. Whatever they are wearing, they have thought about it. I noticed a few years back how many men were wearing pink. Not just the fashion-forward men, but all sorts of men. That trend filtered right through. Men are also being more adventurous with bright colours, although I do think that in general men would rather blend in. Most people want to be accepted, whereas other people like me like to stand out so my tastes are definitely more adventurous. I always try to seek out interesting garments that other people don’t have.
What have been your favourite eras in fashion?
I like the 1930′s a lot – it was very elegant. The 1960′s was definitely a sharper look with more attitude. I like to see a three piece suit with a nice tie and pocket hanky.
What are you into right now?
I’ve recently become quite interested in hats. I’ve become that old guy with a flat cap and whippet. Being a Yorkshireman, it was a look I’d always tried to avoid.
Eric’s Whippet Jimmy AKA Jimmy Chew
What do you love about whippets and lurchers?
Whippets and lurchers are proper dogs; they look athletic like they were built to do a job. When we first thought about getting a dog I really didn’t think my wife would like them because they’re so thin.  When she saw the dogs, she totally fell in love. They’re also fantastically affectionate and beautifully natured.
Is it a challenge to give them all the exercise they need?
It’s a myth that they need a lot of exercise. They run flat out for 20 minutes then sleep all afternoon. They do like to chase livestock though which is a bit of  problem.
Are they naughty dogs?
Rosie is like a shadow. She sneaks upstairs and eats all the cats food, totally unheard. They’re also quite tall which means that we often find them stealing food off the kitchen top. I’ve seen them make away with anything from spaghetti bolognese to cream cakes.

QUICKFIRE QUESTIONS FOR ROSIE AND JIMMY 
ST: What is Rosie’s worst habit?
Jimmy: She is insanely jealous of any other dog getting some affection from Eric. She also hogs the softest dog bed or couch.
ST: Describe Rosie in 3 words?
Jimmy: Slower than me!
ST: What’s Rosie’s favourite treat?
Jimmy: Having her throat stroked downwards – she’s nutty for that.
ST: How would you describe Jimmy’s style?
Rosie: He’s an aloof saluki; very regal (or so he thinks).
ST: What are Jimmy’s favourite things to do?
Rosie: Run like crazy, especially after cats and/or rabbits. Pant like crazy. Sleep like crazy. Eat like crazy. Then repeat.
ST: Who would play Jimmy in a film of his life?
Rosie: Usain Bolt.
Sharp Suits is available to buy here: www.amazon.co.uk
ST

No comments:

Post a Comment