Sunday 14 April 2013


TREAT ME KINDLY

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend,
for no heart in all the world is more
grateful for kindness than the loving
heart of mine.

Do not break my spirit with a stick,
for though I should lick your hand
between blows, your patience and
understanding will more quickly
teach me the things you would
have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is
the world's sweetest music to my ears,
as you must know by the fierce wagging
of my tail when I hear your footsteps.

Please take me inside when it is cold
and wet, for I am a domesticated
animal, no longer accustomed to the
bitter elements. I ask no greater glory
than the privilege of sitting at your
feet beside the fire.

Keep my pan filled with water, for I cannot
tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food that I may stay well,
to romp and play and do your bidding,
to walk by your side, and stand ready,
willing and able to protect you with
my life, should your life be in danger.

And finally, my friend, when I am very old,
and I no longer enjoy good health, do not make
heroic efforts to keep me going.

When I am sick and not having fun anymore
in this life, please see that my trusting soul is
taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing
with the last breath I drew, that my fate was
always safest in your hands.

~ Beth Norman Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment