Tour Catherine Palace Russia in Royalty
A Little History of Catherine Palace
Located 25 km southeast of St. Petersburg, Russia, the original very long structure was built as a summer home for Catherine 1 of Russia in 1717.
It wasn’t until 1755 however, that Empress Elizabeth commissioned architect Bartolomeo Raststrelli to replace the entire structure with a very opulent, and larger building extending 325 meters long (just over .2 mile).
The ornamented building is gilded with 100 kg of gold trimming the stucco façade of the building. The front of the palace has a formal garden and the castle is centered directly facing the Hermitage Pavillion, housing large dining facilities for the many guests.
Catherine Refurbished Interior
The castle interior is also very ornate and grand, both in the public venues such as the ballroom and chapel, as well as personal living space.
Catherine the Great, who occupied the palace until her death in 1796, had a great dislike for the extravagance of the design and décor of her predecessor, and did make some changes. She commissioned Charles Cameron to refurbish one wing to create apartments for guests, and build the Cameron Gallery to display her cherished neoclassical art pieces.
There was also a park constructed for her amusement with remarkable structures to view.
Inspiring the Times
There have been a complete destruction and rebuilding of the huge structure a total of 6 times, but the 19th century work of Charles Cameron continues to this day to have a major influence on the appearance and design of the lavish edifice. Ceiling murals and paintings and delicate, gilded carvings characterize the castle throughout. There is also inlaid wooden floors of rosewood, amaranth, and mahogany; and carefully selected colored silk wallpaper.
For an extensive history, you may wish to go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Palace. Be prepared for a visual feast that’ll satisfy anyone’s yearnings to “feel like royalty” for a brief moment in time.