Sunday 9 February 2014

Lemon Pie Bars


Lemon Pie Bars-all the taste of a Lemon Pie with the convenience of a handy bar
Lemon Pie Bars-all the taste of a Lemon Pie with the convenience of a handy bar
I have a love affair with lemon. I love anything having to do with lemon. Lemon Cookies,Lemon Pound CakeLemon Cheese Squares. You get the idea.
When I was a kid, there was a box mix for making Lemon Squares. I think it was made by Sunkist, whatever. Anyway, those bars were incredible.
Lemon Pie Bars-all the taste of a Lemon Pie with the convenience of a handy bar
Then then mix just dissapeared from the shelves.  Probably some distribution thing, but I was crushed.  As box mixes go, this was one of the best.
Time passes, I find other new wonderful recipes to try. I learn to bake from scratch. And then I stumble across a recipe from All Recipes.
Lemon Pie Bars-all the taste of a Lemon Pie with the convenience of a handy bar
It was actually in the teaser magazine they sent with another magazine. I don’t even remember which one.  They also printed a review that said it needed more filling so I adjusted the recipe to allow for it.
If I do say so myself, I think these bars are the perfect ratio of crust to filling and the taste, dare I say it, is better than I remember from that box mix.
Lemon Pie Bars-all the taste of a Lemon Pie with the convenience of a handy bar
Lemon Pie Bars
Ingredients
    for the crust
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • for the filling
  • 6 large eggs
  • 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cups lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Instructions
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and confectioner's sugar, stir just to combine. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour until it resembles pie crust dough. Press dough into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Bake crust in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes, just until edges start to turn golden.
  2. While crust is baking, prepare filling. Whisk together filling ingredients until smooth and a foam begins to form on top. Let filling rest.
  3. When crust is done baking, remove from oven. Stir filling to blend foam back in then pour over baked crust. Bake again for 20 minutes, or until top turns golden brown.
  4. Let cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
Notes
Tip. Dip knife in water before cutting for a cleaner cut.
adapted from All Recipes
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
Lemon Pie Bars-all the taste of a Lemon Pie with the convenience of a handy bar
Want more lemon?
Lemon Souffle
Lemon Crumb Squares
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Lemon Bread
Lemon Curd Cake



No comments:

Post a Comment