Saturday 29 March 2014





A Few Things I've Learned As An Avid Reader

1: Try to not read the synopsis before reading the book--it'll feel less like a major spoiler and you won't be able to judge the book right away (since we tend to judge books based on their synopsis automatically, or at least, I do.)

2: Don't follow the hype--especially if it isn't your kind of read. Just because it has a high rating on websites like Goodreads, doesn't mean it'll be the book for you. By all means, try the book out if you want to, but don't feel obligated to agree with others for fear of backlash (this happened to me with The Night Circus and I still don't regret being honest.)

3: Don't read reviews before reading the book: it's just a bad idea (**Cough**Allegiant**Cough**)

4: Don't explain the synopsis to a future reader in too much detail--most don't appreciate it.

5: If your best friend is suffering from a reading strike, then recommend one of your most recent reads that you absolutely loved!

6: Don't judge a book by the author's actions/habits--a book is a book is a book. (That sounded less quirky in my head)

7: Just because you didn't like an author's past works, doesn't mean you should completely say no to his/her future works--I'm a picky reader, but I tend to give second chances out to writers a lot.

8: The time it takes you to read a book really depends on how much you actually like it--I know a book is in trouble with me when I procrastinate instead of reading it.

9: I don't really finish series--especially if there as unnecessary twists and sequels added to an already tired storyline.

10: Sometimes leaving my desired genre really is a good thing--there are a few books that surprised the hell out of me and I'm glad I took the risk.

11: Age doesn't matter--there are some seriously good books out there for EVERYONE. I find the fact that people frown on others for reading anything outside of the general fiction age group (hello, adulthood) really maddening. At least they're reading! Plus, middle grade and young adult books are so much fun!

12: Close reading really helps--I have to do this anyway for reviewing purposes, but you'd be surprised how much close reading helps. A character has many sides (even if they are flat characters) and to be able to see these sides while close reading, you can also see a different side to the story, one that isn't directly shown. Also, close reading shows us that a character does not always reflect on an author's views, but is simply just a character that justifies the ends to the means in a book.


No comments:

Post a Comment