Monday 2 May 2016

A Pot of Wisdom & Love



She said the world was big, so be bold for it.

~
Mustard seeds and powdered spices froth in hot oil
She cupped my pubescent chin,
Only in the way a mother could
She drew me close, registered my face;
Kindness flickered in her eye,
She smiled, for she had witnessed time
But, she saw adventure dance in my heart.
 ~

She said the world would be cruel, so remember who you are.

~
In went the chopped okra and cubed potatoes
With a splash, the vegetables sweat
In the simmering, in the heat
Making sounds of the sea
Waiting for a sign of obedience, of acknowledgement
She smiled, for she saw I had heard
But, she knew my soul would dare.
~

She said the world would be beautiful, so embrace its glory.

~
The lid danced atop the covered pan
Flavors formed and the curried fragrance,
Floated from her kingdom to conquer the house
She smiled blankly
Like she replayed a distant memory
She enveloped me in her soft embrace
But, she felt my teeming rebellion so strong.
~

She said the world would be kind, so stay humble.

~
Craning for her final ingredient,
She reached out for salt on the shelf;
I saw her earth-colored belly,
That nourished me to life
Slightly exposed through her poly-cotton sari
She smiled her smile
And, she knew I would understand someday too.
 ~

She said the world would be insane, so search for stillness.

~
And into the parlor, I hopped behind her
Gathering paper from an old exercise book
Marked in faded blue biro scribbling,
I watched as she folded and created
A paper boat with an anchor
And, placed it in a puddle of rain water
Drifting in the wind, garnering momentum
It set sail.


No comments:

Post a Comment