Sunday 8 June 2014

Just a dog



JUST A DOG
From time to time, people tell me,
“lighten up, it’s just a dog,”
or, “that’s a lot of money for just a dog.”
They don’t understand the distance traveled, the time spent,
or the costs involved for
“just a dog.”
Some of my proudest moments have come about with
“just a dog.”
Many hours have passed and my only company was
“just a dog,”
but I did not once feel slighted.
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
“just a dog,”
and in those days of darkness,
the gentle touch of “just a dog”
gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it’s “just a dog,”
then you will probably not understand phrases
like “just a friend,” “just a sunrise,”
or ”just a promise.”
“Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence
of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
“Just a dog” brings out the compassion and
patience that makes me a better person.
Because of “just a dog” I will rise early,
take long walks and look longingly to the future.
So for me and folks like me, it’s not “just a dog”
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams
of the future, the fond memories of the past,
and the pure joy of the moment.
“Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me and
diverts my thoughts away from myself and the
worries of the day.
I hope that someday they can understand that
it’s not “just a dog”
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps
me from being “just a man.”
So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog.”
just smile, because they “just don’t understand.”



No comments:

Post a Comment