Wednesday 5 June 2013

7 Ways To Impress People In 60 Seconds Or Less

Posted: 06/05/2013 7:18 am

No matter what income level they've achieved, some people still don't have a clue as to how to draw others to them. They don't know what to say to put others at ease or how to act in order to electrify a room. But by the time you reach 50, you should know a thing or two about how to impress those around you. People can tell when you feel comfortable in your own skin. And when you feel comfortable in your own skin, you'll give others the confidence they need to be themselves as well. And that's pretty impressive.
Famous folks usually included on lists of the world's most impressive people include Hillary Clinton, Taylor Swift and Chris Christie. What do they have in common? All are smart and supremely self-confident.
After consulting with a few very impressive friends, here are seven ways to wow people in 60 seconds or less. Have your own ideas? Tell us about them in comments.
1. Treat your spouse well.Few things impress me LESS than someone who talks poorly about their spouse (or children for that matter). Marital fidelity/loyalty is becoming increasingly rare, especially among my 50-something friends. Those who stay faithful to their partner -- and who also don't cut them down -- impress me. And certainly they impress their spouses as well. So take your partner's hand, or say something nice about them.
2. Look people in the eyeIf you can hold someone's gaze, you are more likely to connect with them on a personal level. If someone can't look me in the eye, I tend to think they are either hiding something or are simply not very confident about what they have to say. I'm impressed when people have the confidence to really focus on me.
3. Give compliments freely to those who deserve itI have a friend who always -- without fail -- says something nice to me as soon as she sees me. It's always something simple like "I love those earrings" but it always makes me feel good and it always makes me want to be around her. People may not always remember what you say, but they will remember how it feels to be around you. Obviously, don't overdo it. But a simple, genuine compliment goes a long way.
4. Do what you say you're going to doI have another friend who, if she says she's going to meet you at 7 p.m., she's going to meet you at 7 p.m. and not a minute after. I have other friends who are habitually late or who make promises they can never deliver on. I'd rather have a friend tell me "no" than to tell me "maybe" and then renege on me later on. Be reliable and people will respect you for it.
5. Stand up for your beliefs in a respectful, intelligent mannerThere are few things more impressive to me than someone who doesn't shy away from standing up for their beliefs -- and then who can back up what they say with intelligent research while also keeping an open mind and listening to what others have to interject. By the time you're 50, you should definitely have a pretty clear idea of where you stand on issues. Impress people by speaking out without sounding arrogant.
6. Ask about a person's kid or grandkidI'm always impressed when someone remembers something pertaining to one of my three kids. When someone asks me about, say, my daughter's audition for the lead in the school play, it shows me they are paying attention to what's going on in my life. And that's very impressive.
7. Know what's going on in the worldEven those who have a cursory knowledge of current events are impressive. (And this doesn't just mean knowing who won "Dancing With The Stars" the night before.) If you don't have a lot of time, try at least scanning the headlines or catching up on the news during the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment