Tuesday 17 January 2017

Homemade Paw Balm

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup natural beeswax
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. shea butter
  • 10 drops vitamin E
Yield: Approx. two jars (250-mL each).
1. Fill a pot about one-third full with water and heat to medium-low.
2. Set a standard or large-sized mason jar inside of the pot. This creates a double boiler effect. (You could also just use a double boiler, but beware: my mason jar was impossible to get clean afterwards so I am glad I used something fairly disposable.)
3. Put the beeswax in the jar and heat, stirring often, until it’s melted. This took about ten minutes. (Tip: I used a wooden skewer to stir so I wouldn’t ruin a spoon.)
4. Add the coconut oil, olive oil and shea buetter. As you can see, I was pretty loose with my measurements. Heat until melted, stirring often.
5. Remove from heat and add the vitamin E drops. Stir.
6. Pour the mixture into storage containers. I used smaller mason jars. (Tip: I like the wide-mouth jar the best because I can put Dallas’s paw inside the jar and simply rub her paw on the balm to apply it.)
7. Let it sit for an hour or so until it hardens.
img_5201
Voila! You now have an all-natural, yummy-smelling paw protector for your pooch! I hear this stuff also works well for dry human skin.
Dallas didn’t mind me putting it on her paws AND she didn’t try to lick it off. I’m calling this one a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment