Thursday 18 April 2019

Piglet and me

You invited us in.
We were once wild and free, we lived of what was there, we had packs, we had family, we knew the way of the land, the way of the beast, we ate, we slept, we lived.
You came and saw our resourcefulness, our abilities and our craft. You invited us in, you wanted a partnership to learn from us, to master our knowledge of land, of the beast and our craft.
We came in, we joined your pack and together we took on the wilderness and forged civilisations over the millennia. We were a pack, we had become one family a unity formed from need and understanding.
Then you changed us, altered our look, our thinking and our essence to fit in with what you desired. No longer the need of the old knowledge or craft, the wilderness had been tamed and the beast reduced to livestock.
But we stayed, we were family, we were the pack, we were unity.
Or so we thought.
I see my brethren kept in cages by the thousands, no longer wanted by those who changed them. Discarded like an afterthought and dismissed from what was once family, the pack. Outcasts through no fault of their own.
Eaten in festivals like the beast we once hunted. Abandoned at roadsides like garbage no longer wanted. Made to fight for the bloodlust of mankind and bred to exhaustion for a trade already over populated.
And then when the time has come like criminals who have no guilt you dispose of us and cast our remains into the fire or the pit without a second thought.
We were once wild and free.
You invited us in.
I stand before you, proud of my heritage, I was once cast aside but no more, they invited me in and here I remain, family, a pack. They invited me in and I came, no longer wild and free but loved.
You invited us in, do not cast us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment