Friday 16 December 2022

Jane Austin

 



🎂 Happy birthday to Jane Austen (1775-1817), English writer who first gave the novel its distinctly modern character through her treatment of ordinary people in everyday life. She published four novels during her lifetime: Sense and Sensibility (1811), Pride and Prejudice (1813), Mansfield Park (1814), and Emma (1815). 👇
"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."
***
Painting: Sir William Beechey

No comments:

Post a Comment