Tuesday 29 January 2013

Rebecca Rose & Juno

January 29, 2013 | By Sara |  
 
Rebecca Rose, Vintage store owner with her dog Juno
StyleTails speaks to the charming Rebecca Rose, owner of online vintage heaven - Juno Says Hello and her glamorous canine muse – Juno.
Seduced by the spellbinding glamour of old-school stars of the silver screen, Rebecca Rose turned her obsession with iconic vintage dresses into a full-time job. Founder of vintage heaven, Juno Says Hello, Rebecca scours the globe for unique pieces from the 1930′s through to the 1970′s, each one telling an exciting and intriguing story. Their stunning gowns have graced the red carpet at glittering events from The Academy Awards and the Emmy’s, to last year’s Royal Wedding. Don’t fret though, you don’t need to be celebrity to slip into one these little numbers – you can find your perfect party frock in their online boutique or by appointment in their Bloomsbury Showroom.
Despite her best attempts to convince me that her default setting is ‘slob’ until 5pm when she turns into 1940′s screen siren, Rebecca is the total embodiment of old school glamour – smart, funny and utterly charming. I sat down for tea and a tart with her and her Dachshund Juno at her Camden Flat to get the lowdown on being a lady.
What sparked your love of vintage? 
I’m 5’10″ with broad shoulders and a bum, so my interest in vintage began when I started finding pieces that really suited my shape.
How did the idea for Juno Says Hello come about?
I realised that my obsession with vintage had become totally uneconomical! I only had one or two  dresses in the beginning but every time I wore them people would comment and girlfriends would ask to borrow them. It was really flattering. I was drawn into the vintage scene and if I found an amazing dress I would have to buy it – regardless of the size. It was at that point that I realised it was a totally unviable hobby – I couldn’t even wear half the dresses, so I had the idea of providing other women with access to these amazing gowns online.
What was the inspiration for concept? 
Juno Says Hello is inspired by actresses in classic films. I’m obsessed with watching clips from old movies and I love that moment in a scene when an actress just captivates you. We try to capture that energy and mystique when we buy pieces for the store.
What do your customers love about Juno Says Hello
Personal shopping can have very stuffy connotations and there’s always pressure to buy. We like to make the whole experience very informal and fun. People can pop into the studio with absolutely no obligation – have a glass of wine, bring their girlfriends and just have a laugh. I think a lot of people also believe that you can only wear vintage if you’re a petit little thing with a tiny ribcage, but it’s just not true. It was really important for me to offer beautiful vintage pieces to women of all shapes and sizes so we stock anything from size 4 to size 20.
juno says hello
What advice would you give women looking for beautiful vintage pieces? 
Definitely step outside your comfort zone. So many people come in with very rigid ideas about what they think will suit them.When we finally convince them to try something different and they see how it completely flatters their shape – they fall in love with it.
Your wardrobe must be immense. How do you decide what to wear every day!?
Before 5pm the default setting is slob. Once I finish at the studio and head back to the flat with Juno to get ready – that’s when I really switch into glamour mode. For me it’s all about cocktail dresses. I really wish I could pull off those beauitful women’s tuxedo’s but not with my shape!
Why do you think vintage has continued to be so popular? 
A lot of people love the history aspect. These are ‘action’ dresses – the kind of dresses things happen in. Did they go to a fabulous party? Get into a blazing row with their husband? Have an affair? It’s so mysterious and seductive. I think it’s also appealing to know that you’re wearing something very unique and there’s no danger anyone else will be wearing the same thing, which is always a worry when buying from the high street.
Did Mad Men spark a massive interest in vintage?
Yes, huge interest! So much beautiful fashion came out of that period, especially in the U.S. where a whole new class of professional was emerging after the war. The wives of these Madison Avenue men were expected to host glamorous parties and look the part. We have lots of people coming in to look for costumes for Mad Med parties and once they try them on, they love them so much they want to wear them all the time.
1960's style inspiration - Betty and Don Draper in Mad Men
1960′s style inspiration – Betty and Don Draper in Mad Men
What’s been the most exciting stash of dresses you’ve come across for Juno Says Hello? 
Last year I found out about an estate in the U.S. that belonged a very successful professional woman who had passed away. When I saw the dresses, I took almost all of them and they absolutely flew out the door. I’ve never seen anything like it. They were just so beautiful – you almost wouldn’t know if they were modern designs or vintage. I also managed to get my hands on the same dress that Julianne Moore had worn in A Single Man which was very exciting. It was a limited edition and only about 40 were made.
Julianne Moore stars as Charley in Tom Ford's A Single Man.
Julianne Moore in A Single Man
How did your dog Juno come into your life?
Juno had belonged to an elderly couple and sadly the wife had passed away not long after they got her. The husband was understandably overwhelmed and not able to cope with the puppy so I gave her a new home. She was actually called Rose when I got her but my last name is Rose and I thought people might think I named her after me, so it became Juno.

QUICKFIRE QUESTIONS – JUNO
Juno the Dachshund
Who is your silver screen icon?
‘Uggie’ – the Jack Russell in The Artist. The breakfast scene melted my heart!.


What’s your top tip for flirting?
When you’re this irresistible you don’t have to try very hard. Admirers chase me down the street!
Your favourite cocktail?
The Salty Dog. I drink this whenever I’m feeling blue and it perks me right up!  Vodka, grapefruit juice and the glass has a salted rim.
You have that classic Dachshund body shape. How do you make the most of your figure? 
The key to my figure is not snacking more than six times between meals. ‘Elegance is refusal’, as Diana Vreeland said. Pigs ears and bull pizzles are amazing for my complexion. I also keep my beard bushy and my eyebrows as wild as possible. It drives ‘em crazy.
Your favourite place in London for a posh meal?
My favourite place in London is Whits Restaurant in Kensington. The owner Eva always makes a fuss of me and reserves my favourite table by the door.
What’s playing on your gramophone?  
Old Blue Eyes does a great version of The Lady Is A Tramp. Being stylish is a full time job but I like to let my hair down once in a while, just like every other girl!
Who’s your ideal man
Brian Griffin form Family Guy. He likes jazz, drinks martinis and writes poems. I need him in my life!
What a gal…..

No comments:

Post a Comment