One of the strongest arguments for meditation is that it doesn't need to be time-consuming. Bernstein, for example, believes just 60 seconds of focused stillness a day can produce profound changes in women's lives -- breathing in for five seconds, holding their breath for five seconds, and exhaling for five seconds. Salzberg recommends beginners meditate three times a week for five to 15 minutes, and work up to 20 minutes daily if possible, but she believes that what matters most is consistency.
That's a lesson Jillian Amodio, 23, a prolific freelance writer and stay-at-home mother with a 2-year-old daughter, took some time to learn. At 19, she was diagnosed with endometriosis -- a painful condition that occurs when the tissue that lines a woman's uterus grows elsewhere in her body. Amodio went so far as to have menopause temporarily induced, which relieved her pain for more than a year before it returned. She then began researching "alternative healing" and took up a home yoga and meditation routine, piecing together elements from different videos and DVDs. (HuffPost is not advocating this approach, it is what Amodio tried.) Though she believes the practice has all but eliminated her pain, it took her several months to fight the sense that it was just another thing she was failing at.
"I was just concentrating on the idea of, 'If I'm going to do this right, I need to find an hour in my day, I need to find an hour in my day,'" Amodio said. "Some days, I would sit down and I'd start to do it, and I'd get five minutes in and I'd hear the baby crying on the monitor; some days, I'd sit down and say, 'I'm going to do my hour,' and I'd think, but I'm so tired, I just want to sleep."
But something clicked when she took a step back and asked herself, "What is the purpose of this meditation? It's not to get an hour in. It's to get relaxed, and to re-center myself."
Now, Amodio meditates daily after putting her daughter down for a late afternoon nap. She sits on a yoga mat or pillow in her living room with the windows thrown open to let in air and light, or with the blinds drawn, to create a sense of cozy calm. Other days, she goes out to the back deck of the Maryland home she shares with her husband. It faces the water, so she can sit and feel the breeze.
"Even if it's just 10 minutes of meditation a day," she said, "that's my me-time."
women meditation
Jillian Amodio now averages around 20 minutes of meditation daily, despite being a busy freelancer and mom.