Thursday 2 August 2018

Mermaids Song

Mermaids Song
I have seen where mermaids live
Where dolphins play, and the winds rest
And porpoises with their laughing faces 
Mock my slow and clumsy boat
Are they an honor guard:
A troop of clowns?
Do they smile in sympathy
Pity me my awkward legs,
And leaping, dart away
I remember when my sea was bright
With sun-flung jewels
On a thousand days
And silver laced or velvet black those nights
The moon was magic unexplored:
The stars unnamed by me
Magic sentinels to dreams
And nightwatch company
When I go back, if there should be
Someone lonely, missing me
Don't search along some fog-cold shore
But in a warmer sea
In crashing waves, and wind-tossed foam
And clear blue water, and siren song
And if you call, perhaps I'll hear
But never an answer give--
For they do have rules, of a sort,
In that sunny place
Where mermaids live.
Nicky Federico Copyright 2/1/2001
Art Silvia Pavlova



No comments:

Post a Comment