The opening of the Irish Mail railway service from London to Holyhead, connecting with ferry services to Dublin on 1st August 1848, resulted in the name of the village station of Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll being changed to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
The name change was made to attract tourists and the ploy has subsequently proved to be very successful, with over 200,000 visitors being attracted to village every year. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch has the longest place name in Europe and the second longest place name in the world. Its railway station has the longest station name in the world and the village's Internet domain name is the world's longest. The English translation of the village's name is 'The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool of St. Tysilio’s of the red cave'.