Saturday 20 August 2022

I Wish I Knew

 

She spoke to the teachers
they told her to sit
to wait for her turn
and to speak with respect
She spoke to her parents
they told her to try
to never give up
to work hard and strive
She spoke to her friends
they told her to change
to act more like them
to stop being strange
She spoke to her self
she wondered what’s wrong?
why don’t I fit in?
why cant I belong?
And finally when
her exhaustion was high
she wandered bereft
out into the night.
She spoke to the moon
and the stars let her see
you’re already enough
why can’t you just be?
You sparkle with life
you’re so full to the brim
why worry about
the need to fit in?
You’re made of pure sunlight
with so much to share
don’t walk down the same road
you're not going there…
Donna Ashworth
From ‘I wish I knew’: https://amzn.to/3JVMJlZ
Art by Josie Wren #josiewrenart







No comments:

Post a Comment