Saturday 2 October 2021

Bullterrier in the city


May be an image of 3 people, people standing and food
A True Heart warming bull terrier story from World War 2
What seems like a lifetime ago, after meeting an elderly gentleman who has since passed, that lived on the opposite side of the road from us, just a few doors up.
For several years, walking our dogs passed his home, he would always pop out to say hello to the gang, and they loved his attention. Bull terriers tend to know instinctively who loves them and who hates them, hence a Marmite breed for those who will never truly meet them and engage with their immense loyalty, matched by a heart that lights up even these grim times we have thrust upon us.
He would always tell us how much he loved the breed as they smothered him with kisses. But there was something else about this man that after a few years of general chatting came forth, to reveal why he adored our wonderful breed.
He said; “Your probably not going to believe this, but every word is the truth!” During the start of World War 11, I like so many people from Plymouth went to fight for our country. We sailed from Plymouth Docks and as we pulled away, my bull terrier sat there watching our ship sail out of sight.
For 2 years, I served in the Royal Navy, until we arrived back at the same dock we had departed from. As we pulled in, I saw my dog sitting and walking around patiently in circles, with obvious excitement. I couldn’t believe my luck as he dived all over me in a welcoming I had so longed for for all this time.
My pal and I walked side by side back to see my wife. I couldn’t hold my excitement and told her how my dog was there to greet me as I got off the ship.
She smiled and said; “He has waited at those docks every single day since you have been gone and no matter how many times he was led away, he would always return to the same spot where you left him.
My job before the war was helping large ships to navigate into port. My dog would always be with me on our small boat, and his favourite entertainment was to jump in the sea to grab the rope and swim with it in his mouth, where he towed us back to the dock.
Now you know why my face lights up every time I see your dogs.
Photo of typical WW2 bull terrier


No comments:

Post a Comment