Friday 13 November 2015

here to find Hidden Treasures for the Mind, Heart & Soul.

Via on Nov 10, 2015

books lamp read cozy

“Libraries store the energy that fuels the imagination. They open up windows to the world and inspire us to explore and achieve, and contribute to improving our quality of life. Libraries change lives for the better.” ~ Sidney Sheldon

When I was but a wee little thing, I remember my mom would pack me, my sister, and my brother in the car for an afternoon of delight at the local library.
“Storytime” was a weekly adventure that opened our imaginations and gave me a deeply profound love of books.
We would enter the library with a reverent hush and upon entrance, I would inhale the old musty scent of the books—well-worn with love over time.
I can recall the soft sounds of the drawers the wooden card-catalogue would make. Over time they would be opened and closed so many times the sound would become a velvety hush. I remember twirling around in awe as I stared at the rows upon rows of books. It was a place filled with thousands of small secret stories hidden in plain sight all around you, just waiting to be held in your hands and discovered.
Storytime started at 4:00 p.m. and lasted for an hour. All of the children would sit around a circular platform of carpeted stairs creating a mini-auditorium overflowing with plush pillows to snuggle into.
Sometimes the storyteller would be able to finish a book in its entirety and other times we would have to wait a full week to hear more (as was the case when she began to read Where the Red Fern Grows).
As children, we weren’t allowed to watch much television and in those days, we didn’t have computers, gaming stations, smart phones, or tablets. We were our own entertainment.
After Storytime, Mom would let us each pick out three books (max) to read until we once again returned the following week.
As I was especially young, my journey would usually lead me to a very special librarian. (Well, all librarians are special, really. In my mind, they were the guardians of the books and knew the secret codes to find the exact book you were looking for—all contained within the mini-wooden drawers previously mentioned).
Atop these cedar chests were little strips of white paper and containers holding pencils. This is where the librarian would write down a secret code that would lead me to my treasure.
I truly believed all librarians were witches and wizards who kept small keys around their neck, keys to special, sacred artifacts you had to know the secret password to see.
As time marched forward, these weekly library trips became less and less and we eventually stopped going to the library. But, I never lost my love of books and libraries and my joy for reading never subsided. I won all of the Reading Rainbow awards in school (which meant free pizza from Roundtable Pizza). I also couldn’t wait to scour the pages of the Scholastic Book order forms looking for my next adventure.
As an adult, I still visit the local library consistently. I still feel the same awe and reverence as I once did as a child.
Though my reading tastes have evolved, I still love to eyeball the rows upon rows of books and inhale the musty scent with delight.
Card catalogues have been replaced by computers but the Dewey Decimal System remains the same.
About three years ago, I checked out the book, Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter by Simone de Beauvoir. The contents in and of themselves were a treasure but you can only imagine my surprise when I turned a page and found another—
—a handwritten poem tucked between the pages! The paper was an aging yellow and was brittle to the touch. “What a wonderful idea,” I thought.
Since that day, I have made it a habit to leave behind treasures for others to discover. I have left my own poems, words of affirmation, and dried flowers between the pages prior to returning a book.
To this day, I still believe books were my real first love. I believe that is what propelled me to begin writing my own short stories by the time I was seven and Shel Silverstein inspired my first poem, written at age eight.
When was the last time you visited your local library and discovered the hidden treasures within? When was the last time you took your child to Storytime (as most libraries still offer this wonderful service)?
In the event that reading really isn’t your cup of tea, let me introduce you to the libraries of the 21st century where they also have a wonderful selection of DVDs and audio books. Let me assure you, the library containseverything one may need for intracranial stimulation.
Going to the library is also a great way to sample a book prior to purchase. Some of us are on tight budgets but don’t want to miss out on new releases. Many libraries are online and you can actually reserve a book in advance. I highly recommend this, as I have immediately purchased a new release only to find it doesn’t resonate or I have difficulty with the format or verbiage. Utilizing your local library may save you from buyer’s remorse.

“In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson




No comments:

Post a Comment