Tuesday 1 January 2019

Satnav – A new poem by Bill Daniel of Chichester, West Sussex



Satnav – A new poem by Bill Daniel of Chichester, West Sussex
I have a little Satnav, it sits there in my car. A Satnav is a driver's friend it tells you where you are. I have a little Satnav, i've had it all my life. It's better than the normal ones, my Satnav is my wife.
It gives me full instructions, especially how to drive "It's thirty miles an hour", it says, "You're doing thirty five". It tells me when to stop and start, and when to use the brake And tells me that it's never ever, safe to overtake.
It tells me when a light is red, and when it goes to green It seems to know instinctively, just when to intervene. It lists the vehicles just in front, and all those to the rear. And taking this into account, it specifies my gear.
I'm sure no other driver, has so helpful a device. For when we leave and lock the car, it still gives its advice. It fills me up with counselling, each journey's pretty fraught. So why don't I exchange it, and get a quieter sort?
Ah well, you see, it cleans the house, makes sure I'm properly fed. It washes all my shirts and things, and keeps me warm in bed!
Despite all these advantages, and my tendency to scoff, I only wish that now and then, I could turn the darn off.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa, my name is Bill Daniel, I live in Chichester, West Sussex.
    For your reference, Pam Ayres did not write the poem 'The Satnav'. I actually wrote that poem several years ago.
    The way the poem has been presented here has included three minor changes to my original work: The beginning is slightly different, the speed referred to was originally 30/35 (mph) not 60/65, and I had ended the poem with '...turn the darn thing off', 'not turn the bugger off'. Apart from that the whole poem is verbatim to my original one.
    Pam Ayres has already Tweeted that this is not her piece. It's not - it is my original creation.
    Best Regards, Bill Daniel, Chichester, West Sussex. Email: wjddid4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bill, I'm very sorry, I'll amend the post! I just really enjoyed it. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for clearing it up.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lisa, amazingly, several people seem to have claimed authorship of this poem, and many others attribute it to Pam Ayres. Not long after I had written it I forwarded it to our local newspaper, who included it in their next edition. I'm trying to find out what date that would have been. This is the only time the poem had been actually 'published', I suspect someone picked it up from that, and passed it on to other folk. Glad you enjoyed it, though, we all need a touch of humour these days don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do need a laughs. Thank you to make us.

    ReplyDelete