Friday 26 July 2019

15 Quotes about Cats & Their Writers



“One cat just leads to another.” ~ Ernest Hemingway

1. “I said something which gave you to think I hated cats. But gad, sir, I am one of the most fanatical cat lovers in the business. If you hate them, I may learn to hate you. If your allergies hate them, I will tolerate the situation to the best of my ability.” ~ Raymond Chandler (in a letter to a friend)
2. “If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.” ~ Mark Twain
3. “A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
4. “Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.” ~ Neil Gaiman, Stardust
5. “Time spent with a cat is never wasted.” ~ Colette
6. “I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.” ~ Jean Cocteau
7. “Cats will amusingly tolerate humans only until someone comes up with a tin opener that can be operated with a paw.” ~ Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms
8. “I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.” ~ Jules Verne
9. “One reason that cats are happier than people is that they have no newspapers.” ~ Gwendolyn Brooks, In the Mecca
10. “when I am feeling
low
all i have to do is
watch my cats
and my
courage
returns”
~ Charles Bukowski
11. “If you want to concentrate deeply on some problem, and especially some piece of writing or paper-work, you should acquire a cat. Alone with the cat in the room where you work … the cat will invariably get up on your desk and settle placidly under the desk lamp … The cat will settle down and be serene, with a serenity that passes all understanding.” ~ Muriel Spark, A Far Cry from Kensington
12. “Books, Cats, Life is Good.” ~ Edward Gorey
13. “I write so much because my cat sits on my lap. She purrs so I don’t want to get up. She’s so much more calming than my husband.” ~ Joyce Carol Oates
14. “Of all our sunny world
I wish only for a garden sofa
where a cat is sunning itself.
There I should sit
with a letter at my breast,
a single small letter.
That is what my dream looks like.”
~ Edith Södergran, A Wish
15. “I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.” ~  Edgar Allan Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment