Monday 26 April 2021

Today, I dared to let myself dream,



That the world will one day open again.
That the locks will loosen, the walls will fall,
The doors will fly open and reunite us all.
I dared to imagine the warmth of a cuddle,
A group of my friends all locked in a huddle.
I felt all the heartbeats, drumming with mine,
I heard all the laughter, I tasted the wine.
I thought of the feelings I’ve missed for long,
The room full of music, united by song.
The freedom to roam, to plan and to meet
To hold someone’s hand, to meet, to greet.
Just for a moment I dared to dream of,
The flights I would board to the places I love.
The moment those eyes would meet mine at the gate,
The feeling of joy after so long a wait.
Today, I dared to let myself dream,
That the life we once had would happen again.
That we’d no longer fear the danger of air,
That our lives would not depend on such care.
They say that we mustn’t wish time away,
But it’s hard, my friend, when faced with a day,
So long in blank hours and so wiped of laughter,
It’s tempting to drift away to thereafter.
So yes, I dared to dream just a while,
Of life coming back, it brought me a smile.
One day I know, this will be in the past,
And hugs will be free, again, at last.
Donna Ashworth
Author of ‘To The Women’ and ‘History Will Remember’. Available here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc...
Image by the wonderful Charlie Mackesy,
Author of ‘The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse’

No comments:

Post a Comment