Tuesday 5 July 2022

Our Four-Legged Friends

 https://www.silversurfers.com/showcase/article/our-four-legged-friends/?fbclid=IwAR0A3OoUN8hBzgtisbq3Od0A57s4q8QrkY4aD5gIZdCr0w6pwcNkoP2eH3o



By Maxine Bailey Jul 1, 2022

Poem for Pet Remembrance Day 2022 (5th July), to honour our wonderful pets who have passed over the Rainbow Bridge.

We don’t really need a special day to remember them do we, they are in our hearts every day.  Written with my recently lost and much loved Miniature Schnauzer in mind, but also for all pet owners out there who have loved and lost.

Our Four-Legged Friends

If I close my eyes tight
I can see your sweet face
There’s a hole in my heart
That nothing can replace

It’s better to have loved
And lost, so they say
We sure had some good times
Back in the day

From the very first moment
I set eyes on you
You made me so happy
You hadn’t a clue

You were my snuggle bunny
My loyal furry friend
Our walks in the countryside
I never wanted to end

You helped me to smile
If my mood became low
We walked through the seasons
Come rain, shine or snow

I taught you some tricks
You were so keen to please
You were such a mischief
A joy and a tease

You would jump on the sofa
At the end of each day
Till bedtime we’d snuggle
And the world felt less grey

I just don’t understand
Why each dog year is seven
Please jump on a rainbow
And come down from heaven

My loyal companion
I just want you to know
I still love you more
Than you could possibly know

© Maxine Bailey


No comments:

Post a Comment