Monday 15 October 2018

Ageing

Ageing
As I’m growing older, I’ve found that in the end,
As I mature and mellow I’ve become my own good friend.
Less critical of who I am, more free to live each day,
In line with things that matter, as old worries fade away,
And I see dear friends who have passed on, and maybe missed their chance,
To exercise full freedom in life’s demanding dance.
To do those things that feed our souls, those chances that are missed,
To write another tick against our lengthy bucket list.
And though I’m quite forgetful, some things are best mislaid,
No need to rake the ashes of mistakes we may have made.
And yes, my heart’s been broken, as some folk have done me wrong
But as I’ve come through I know it’s true, the pain has made me strong,
As a heart that’s never suffered with no bruise or scar to show,
Has missed an opportunity to learn and then to grow.
As I stroll along the Summer sands, in comfy shorts so baggy,
My Speedo days are just a haze, my bum has gone all saggy..
But wrinkles never bother me, I wear each one with pride,
I see them all as laughter lines, and feel so young inside.
My body may be failing and my hair has turned snow white,
And the mirror in the bathroom makes a less than perfect sight,
But I’m privileged to be here, as I’ve travelled a long way,
And as long as I’m around I’ll always try to seize the day,
Binding close to friends and family, to those who are so giving,
To those precious, special people who all make my life worth living..
Copyright © Michael McCarthy | Year Posted 2018
Art https://www.deviantart.com/syoshiko

No comments:

Post a Comment