Monday 29 October 2018

Autumn Walk

Autumn Walk
As I tramp the woods this autumn day
I wonder about others who have passed this way,
Did they look with awe at the beauty I behold,
Or did they only curse the wind and cold?
Did they marvel at the stone draped in moss so gray,
Or was it only a rock that barred their way?
Did their heart leap for joy at that deer on the run,
Or only wish they had brought their gun?
Did they hear the singing of the creek under ice,
Or the hurry scurry of tiny field mice?
Were they stopped in their tracks by the bit of blue
I saw peeping through trees of such marvelous hue?
Did they hear the chatter of the squirrel in the tree
Or the raucous sound of the bluejay's scree?
Many men must have trod this autumn path,
Perhaps in joy or perchance in wrath.
Surely the Red Man as he walked they land
Feeling the Great Spirit so near at hand,
Must've truly felt the earth was blessed
Knowing that now it was all at rest
And so understanding, that again in the spring,
Once more the world, with life, would sing.
So I too, as I walk this trail
To see the cardinal and bright-eyed quail,
Feel that I am greatly blessed--
For here my restless spirit finds rest.
By Rea Williams
Art D Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment