Saturday 9 March 2019

When Ms. Worrywart comes Calling: a Poem for Women who always Second-Guess Themselves

Katie Wells 




Changing of the Guard 
I am a person who
For the most part’s done okay,
Trusting head and instincts
When planning my own way
Yet just when I am doing great
Plans are working out…
Ms. Anxious Gene sneaks upon me
Hits me with self-doubt
From confident and fearless
to panicked and afraid,
Suddenly second-guessing plans
Previously thought well-made
What if I am wrong?
What if no one understands?
And by chance I fail?
Will I be shamed from this land?
When confronted with this detour
I’m distracted and distressed
And find that those exact fears
Begin to manifest
I used to think it helpful
But have since come to see
That listening to Ms. Negative
Just derails successful me
Now I know the pattern
So when Ms. Worrywart does call,
I politely say, “not listening!”
You’re just here to make me fall
I’ve had to shed these guards,
Ms. Gene, Ms. Neg, Ms. Wart
And welcome in the new ones
Ms. I-can and Ms. Support
And when I’m feeling shaky
Unsure I can achieve
I’ll remember that inaction
Is a certain guarantee
Choosing to give up
Just assures the status quo
So now I will step up
Just see where I can go!

No comments:

Post a Comment