Friday 10 May 2019

THE HISTORY & POWER OF THE HAG STONE & WHY YOU NEED ONE

MY SPIRITUAL NOTEBOOK




Hag stone, holey stone, witch stone, adder stone, fairy stone, Odin stone - whatever you wanna call it, this baby is a powerful little thing!

Just recently I've really taken up an interest in holey stones, & have found myself spending my free time by a river bank or lake shore searching for my very own rare little holed treasure. The holey stone, as I call it, came to me by surprise & completely out of the blue. I had never heard of this natural jewel up until recently, & I fully believe that's because I wasn't meant to until now. Although these stones are quite simple & may seem like nothing out of the ordinary, they carry with them a deeply magickal & spiritual past that heavily sits with the ancient ways of those deeply connected with spiritualism & nature.

A few weeks ago I actually showed a few of mine to you guys on my Instagram weekly livestream & many of you commented that you were very drawn to them. This was not surprising to me, as I felt the exact same way when I first laid my eyes on them. Something about them just pulls you in, it haunts your mind like a soothing dream, & just makes you feel... comfortable. Holey stone, holey stone - why do you seem so familiar? Here's a little history about the holey stone & why you may feel connected with it.

↚What is a 'hag stone'?↛



Basically, the hag stone has a naturally occurring hole going through it that has been put there by water that has drilled it's way through.  According to legend, the stone got its name because hags were thought to be causing illness, death, & misfortune to many, & this stone was said to hold a power strong enough to protect against all of it & ward them off, including their magic. The Druids of Gaul also referred to them as "serpent eggs" & "adder stones", as they believed them to be crafted by snakes, with the holes of the stones formed by the serpents' tongues & sting. 

Already holding natural energy of the earth, a big part of their intense power comes from the power of the water element running against them for so long. We all know that water is an incredibly powerful natural conductor of energy, so can you imagine the prolonged exposure to it's intense power that literally has shaped this stone into it's existence? 


Many different beliefs & legends go along with what exactly the hag stone does, but it is believed to represent any & all of the following:


↫An opening to other worlds↬






  • A link to the fae & spiritual world.  An ancient legend says that gazing through the hole of the stone when out in nature will connect you with the land of the fae (fairies, goblins, mythical creatures) & magick. It is also said that gazing through the hole on a full moon will allow you to see the spirits of the other world all around you. This is because gazing through the hole will is thought to utilize the powerful natural energy of the stone itself to help to focus the psychic eye within us, as glasses or a lens would do to focus our vision. Pretty much a paranormal investigators dream, am I right? If you're going through a spiritual awakening or trying to tune in further with your abilities, you will find wearing or meditating with this stone will be of great use to you.

↫A protector↬



  • Protection of pets, livestock, & children. These stones were once hung in stables over horses, livestock, or pets as a charm to protect against the animals being taken by witches or hags. They were also placed at the entrance of a home or in a child's room to ward off 'night hags' that would supposedly rob innocent homes of their children in the middle of the night, never to be seen again. 

  • Protection & good luck on boats. Hagstones were & still are currently used as protection charms on boats against being “witched”, cursed, or haunted by negative spirits. It was believed that without the protection of this stone, bad luck, accidents & the inability to catch fish would occur. Hag stones were also believed to protect from storms that were thought to be conjured & produced at sea through witchcraft.

  • Protection of a home from curses, spirits & spells. Hag stones were frequently found inside of the walls & surrounding areas in old homes & buildings during renovation. This is because many individuals back in ancient times swore by the stone & would hang them on doors, place them inside the walls, & even wear them around their neck in hopes to ward of negative spirits, hexes, & unwanted energy from their space & their homes. Many thought to also hang the stone at the entrance to their house, as this would ensure that any negative energy that passed through would be absorbed into the stone & not let into the house.

  • Protection against nightmares. Because of their powerful healing & protective abilities, it is thought that hanging a hag stone over your bed or headboard at night will help to protect you from nightmares & bad dreams. This belief was born from the thought to protect against night hags, incubus, succubus, & demons, as they are all believed to prey on us in our sleep, thus bringing about nightmares & sleep paralysis. I personally have a hag stone hanging over my bed & also wear one on a necklace, & I honestly have had the best nights sleep since!

↫A healer↬


  • Banishing of illness. Many illnesses in ancient times were thought to be from witchcraft & evil magic. While this may or may not have been true, the hagstone was thought to cure away all illness influenced by these actions. Frequently placed over the bed of the ill or worn around the neck, the stone was believed to bring incredible healing powers, especially to those suffering from disease. 


Overall, pretty amazing right? I personally cannot get enough of the hagstone & have them hanging around my room is many (many) places, including around my neck! In the end, if you're skeptical of this gem, I urge you to go searching for a hagstone of your own near a bed of water or purchase one at a local spiritual store or even online & give it a try (with an open mind, of course!). I was blown away by how much this stone connected with me, & it has greatly influenced my overall energy for the better. So, what're you waiting for? Give it a try! :)


7 comments:

  1. Lisa ,
    I found this to be very interesting reading. Here recently I have been finding these hagstones everywhere. When I actually put forth the effort to find one I can't ! But when I'm not looking they just seem to appear! The one I like most was burried except for the very top and something told me to pick it up! It's about 7 inch long and 3 in wide it's gorgeous..thanks fir sharing..I was wondering why am I finding g so many of these? Sometimes 2 or 3 a day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a stone that has a hole in it but it doesn't go all the way through.. is it still a hag stone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to know this, too... when I googled it, the only mention anywhere was your question. LOL

      Delete
  3. Ever get an answer for the hag stone hole doesn't go all the way through?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its not a hag stone if you cant look all the way through. You wouldn't be able to see other realms

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve always looked for hag stones when walking on the beach I was told they were lucky stones so I would have to find one for every member of my household ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve always looked for hag stones when walking on the beach I was told they were lucky stones so I would have to find one for every member of my household 😳

    ReplyDelete