Tuesday 14 May 2019

Walking my Dog


A pleasing recreation, which gets me past the door,
And gives me healthy exercise to walk a mile or more.
So lucky to live on the coast, with beach and promenade,
Our Labrador loves water, and she’s always pulling hard,
When she sees those foaming breakers, and she’s desperate to get in,
So I let her off the lead and watch the doggy fun begin.
I only let her swim at times with an incoming tide,
Or she’d be heading off for Holland, across the ocean wide.
Lobster pots around here often have an orange float,
As markers for the fishermen, to guide them in their boat.
When Nina thought one was a ball, I couldn’t quite believe it,
As she struck out heading Eastwards in an effort to retrieve it.
I yelled until my voice was hoarse, it left me with a cough,
So scared I’d reached the stage when I was almost stripping off,
To swim out there to fetch her, but I’m relieved to say,
She tired and turned around again, and quickly saved the day.
I’m sure dog-owners will agree, while out there on your walk,
You’ll meet with many people who somehow want to talk,
That pooch is like a passport, to friendly conversation,
With dog and lead you can’t proceed in splendid isolation,
As people pass the time of day, and give your pet a pat,
I bless the opportunity, to smile and have a chat.
Our dogs bring so much pleasure, a much-loved family member,
Though Nina is long gone now, I always will remember,
Those walks we made together, and those people who we met,
I’ll treasure all those memories, of times I won’t forget…
By Michael McCarthy.
Photography aDanny Block

No comments:

Post a Comment